Access to Information FAQ

How do I make an FOI request?

In order to make a request, you may attend the Police Reporting Centre, located at 150 Maple Grove Road, Cambridge (next door to Police Headquarters) and fill out an Access Request form. You will also be required to pay the legislated $5.00 application fee. Please note you will be asked to provide photo identification at the time your request is made.

Access Request form

You may also make your request in writing and mail it to:

Access to Information Unit
Waterloo Regional Police Service
200 Maple Grove Road
Cambridge, ON N3H 5M1

When mailing your request, please be sure to include the application fee of $5, by certified cheque or money order, made payable to the Waterloo Regional Police Service.

Sending information to us over the Internet is neither secure nor verifiable. As your request may contain personal and sensitive information, we ask that you use one of the methods listed above to submit your request.

If you have any questions regarding making a request under the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, you may contact this office at (519) 650-8514 or by email at

What are your hours? 
The Access to Information Unit is open Monday - Friday, 08:00am - 4:00 pm. The office is closed on statutory holidays.
Where are you located? 
We are located at the Waterloo Regional Police Service Police Reporting Centre, 150 Maple Grove Road, Cambridge, Ontario, next door to Police Headquarters. 
How much does it cost? 
There is an initial $5.00 application fee and there may be additional fees upon completion, an example of which is 0.20 per page for photocopying.
How long does a request take?
The legislated timeline is 30 - 60 days
What do I do if I need the report sooner than that? 
You can indicate the date the report is required when the request is submitted, however we cannot guarantee the records will be ready in advance of the legislated timeline.
Do I have access to the full report? 
This depends on what is being requested and whether or not anyone else is involved in the incident.  The personal information of other individuals will be redacted (blacked out) unless consent from those individuals is provided.  Requests are processed in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
What kind of payment do you accept?
Cash, debit and credit are accepted at the Police Reporting Centre.  By mail, you may pay by money order or certified cheque.
Can my lawyer get the report for me? 
Yes, your lawyer may act as your personal agent and apply for access, however, the same access rules apply whether it is you or your lawyer who is making the application.
Can someone else pick up my completed request? 
Provided we have initially seen you and your identification, you may provide written authorization to another individual authorizing the Waterloo Regional Police Service to release your sealed FOI package to the named individual in the letter.
What kind of identification do you accept and is there any other documentation I need to bring?
We accept driver's licenses, birth certificates, passports, student cards and age of majority cards. Depending on the records that you are seeking access to, you may also be required to bring other documents such as: custody papers or power of attorney documents certifying yourself as executor/executrix, etc.
How can I correct information held about me?
After you have made a request and received your information, you have the right to request:

a. correction of personal information;
b. a statement of disagreement be attached to the record;
c. notification of correction or disagreement be sent to those to whom his/her personal information was disclosed within the previous year.

You must complete an Access/Correction request form and submit a $5.00 application fee.

Once a decision has been made, you will be notified in writing.


Contact Us

How Do I...